COVID-19: At Home Learning Resources
March 17, 2020
Community First Health Plans continues to support our Members, Providers, and our Community during these challenging times. Below are some resources to help ensure your child’s learning continues at home as well as information on alternatives to school lunches.
Need internet access?
Many students' free access to the internet at local schools is no longer accessible. During this time, Charter Communications will offer free access to Spectrum internet and Wi-fi for 60 days. Find out more information on how you can subscribe for this remote learning access.
While your child's school may be closed, physical education is still a vital part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle to help prevent sickness. The Online Physical Education Network provides tools for creating an active home that improves the effectiveness of physical education for every child.
At Home Activities
Check out this list of indoor activities to keep the kids entertained and find more at home resources below:
- The Spanish Experiment – Where you can find well known children’s stories that are translated into Spanish. Kids can read along in Spanish or English.
- Imagineering in a Box - Free online program in partnership with Khan Academy and Pixar that include topics such as theme park design and engineering.
- Nick Helps - Nickelodeon has launched a site filled with (free) tips, ideas, and video content to keep kids busy at home.
- Do2Learn and TeacherVision - Learning resources and activities for children with disabilities.
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - Yoga adventures for kids and little ones.
- YMCA 360 - Virtual group exercise classes
- Khan Academy Kids - offers options for remote learning that delivers the education your child needs, when you need it.
- Education.com, Teacherspayteachers.com, and Scholastic Learn At Home - For free educational and learning worksheets that can be printed at home.
- Virtual Museum Tours – Take virtual tours of Google’s top museums with your family to learn and explore right from your couch.
- National Park Tours - Take virtual tours of 32 National Parks from the comfort of your couch.
- Switch Zoo – Teaches kids about animals by watching, listening, and playing games.
- National Geographic Kids – Kids learn about geography and animals of the world.
- Into the Book – Kids can practice reading strategies in English and Spanish
- Seussville – Children can hang out with Dr. Seuss and friends, while learning reading and playing games.
- ABC Ya and Fun Brain– Children can practice math and reading skills
- PBS Kids – Kids can learn while hanging out with their favorite PBS Characters.
- Star Fall – Kids can practice their phonics skills with read along stories
- Highlights Kids – This site allows kids to read, learn random facts, play games and do activities such as crafts and recipes.
Talking to your children about COVID-19
Learn How To Talk To Your Kids About The Disease and watch a helpful animated video from BrainPop to share with your children the importance of germ spread prevention.
Texas schools are closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. Texas.gov has created a dedicated page for COVID-19 Information. Find meal locations using their School Meal Finder for Students.
Texas STAAR Update
Governor Abbott and Commissioner Morath have decided to waive this year's STAAR exams due to the ongoing situation. School districts will have the option to administer the exams if they wish to do so. For more information, click here.
Community First Health Plans is actively monitoring the current Coronavirus Disease and the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in addition to, the World Health Organization.