If you are among the 26 million Americans who have diabetes, learn all that you can about your disease. People who take an active role in learning about diabetes are the most successful in preventing or delaying diabetes complications.
When you enroll in the Diabetes in Control Program, you will receive ongoing information on topics such as:
- Controlling your blood sugar;
- Tips for talking to your doctor;
- Routine diabetes screening tests;
- Your role in understanding diabetes and preventing complications;
- Blood sugar testing and supplies; and
- What to do when you are sick.
As a member of Community First, you may be eligible to attend diabetes education classes. Topics include:
- Take control of your diabetes;
- Learn all you can about diabetes;
- Get regular checkups;
- Check blood sugars at home;
- Exercise regularly;
- Maintain your recommended weight (even a small weight loss helps control your diabetes);
- Take care of your skin and feet;
- Follow a meal plan
- Take medication if necessary.