STAR Kids Program
Community First Health Plans provides STAR Kids health insurance in the Bexar service delivery area. The program is for people who are 20 and younger, who have a disability, and use Medicaid.
What does it cover?
- Prescription drugs
- Hospital care
- Primary and specialty care
- Preventive care
- Personal care services
- Private duty nursing
- Durable medical equipment and supplies
- MDCP services
Children who receive Medicare will keep using Medicare for basic health services and prescriptions ordered by their doctor. Families will receive help with coordinating care.
Community First Health Plans provides service coordination. This will help identify needs and connect members to services and providers. Community First’s service coordinators will review each member’s specific needs. They will help the family and health plan create a unique individual service plan. Service coordinators must do a standard screening and assessment called the STAR Kids Screening and Assessment (SK-SAI). This will help to see each child’s needs as they relate to health and independent living.
Requirements for STAR Kids
To qualify for STAR Kids, your child:
- Must be 20 or younger
- Must get Supplemental Security Income-related Medicaid
- Live in a community-based intermediate care facility for individuals with an intellectual disability or related condition (ICF/IID) or nursing facility
- Or enrolled in a home and community based services waiver program, including:
- Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP)
- Home and Community-based services (HCS)
- Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS)
- Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD)
- Texas Home Living (TxHmL)
- Youth Empowerment Services (YES)
Texas Health Steps
Texas Health Steps is for children from birth through 20 years of age who have Medicaid. Texas Health Steps provides regular medical and dental checkups and case management services at no cost to you.
Get Help With:
- Finding a doctor, dentist, or case manager
- Making an appointment for a checkup
- Getting a ride or money for gas
To learn more, please visit https://www.txhealthsteps.com/cms/.
Access our library of benefits and resources available to our members from our Knowledge Base.
For more information about how your health plan works, please read the STAR Kids Member Handbook and your Evidence of Coverage.